Wednesday, October 12, 2011

If you are going to spring a leak make sure it's sprung in a convenient location!

So yesterday I was on my way to work and I blew my water pump in my car. Of course I did not diagnose that ailment myself, but here's how it went down:

Smoke billowing out of my hood, a horrible smell coming from my car and a strange noise as I pull into my work parking lot. I look up and a man is standing in the parking lot staring at me. I get out of my car to assess the damage and he says, "I think you blew your radiator hose". There is liquid pouring in abundance from beneath my car. So, I get my husband on the phone and this was our conversation:

Me: Um, Hi. I think I just broke my car.
Husband: What? What happened?
Me: There is smoke coming from the hood, it smells really bad, and some light pink liquid is running all over the ground from under my hood.
Husband: Can you pop the hood
Me: Ok (I pop the hood)
Husband: What do you see?
Me: An engine
Husband: Okay....but what do you see?
Me: Honestly, I don't know. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It is hissing though.
Husband: Hissing? Is your car still on?
Me: No, I turned it off
Husband: But it sounds like it is still running?
Me: Not really, but there's a noise. Here listen to it (me putting the phone up to the engine). Can you hear it?
Husband: Yeah, I heard it. Do you see a black hose in there?
Me: (Me looking around). I do not see a hose.
Husband: Okay, just close the hood. Can you go back in the car and look on the dashboard and tell me the temperature that is says.
Me: 64 degrees.
Husband: No, not the temperature outside, the temperature of your car engine. There should be a temperature gauge on the dash
Me: I have no temperature gauge on my dash
Husband: Yes you do
Me: No I don't
Husband: Believe me, you do
Me: Oh, there it is. It's all the way to the top, in the red zone, like 260 degrees
Husband: Okay, go into work. I will call a tow truck

I felt strangely calm and not at all distressed by my situation and instead reflected on how lucky I was that I made it all the way to my work parking lot before this happened. I had no indication on my 40 minute drive to work that anything was wrong with my car that morning. As many of you may have read in my previous blog I also made an extensive drive to the big city this past Saturday for the bike tour. That is an hour and a half each way. I was so glad that if my car was going to blow up that it did it in such a convenient location!

Have you ever had something incredibly inconvenient happen to you but are able to reflect on it and think of how much worse it really could have been?

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I was cracking up at the "64 degrees" part. lol Yes, we all have inconveniences such as this! Glad you were able to see the positives in this event. :) Sometimes it's hard to do, even though we know we should do it. :)

    ReplyDelete